Subject: Re: [Leica] R-E, Forte papers
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 08 May 1999 08:15:15 -0700

Ian Stanley wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
>         I have been checking out all the photo shops in Bangkok for supplies -
> chemicals, paper, film and such.  The most popular paper around seems to be
> Forte but I have never used it - does anyone have any experience with this
> paper?
snip
> Ian Stanley,
>
> Bangkok

My experience with Forte VC and the Aristo 4500 VC head is that it is
way soft. Way. But that was 2 or 3 years ago. It's taking up a nice
chunk of the cooler at Pro Photo now so I'm thinking of giving it
another shot. But that Ilford warm paper is exquisite but slow and
pricey. I think more than one stop slow. People have been getting into
the Forte because it came out with a warm VC paper first.
My standard is Ilford Multigrade FB (non warm). It's fast and not as
pricey and lush enough without the outright toneability of a warm
"Chloride" paper. I like the way the warm papers are so responsive to
different developers, dilutions and toners. Anything you do is
immeadiatly evident. Bromide papers are like rocks, nothing moves them much.
My guess is their might be some real price savings with the Forte? Nice packaging!.
Mark Rabiner
I've just upgraded my standard trays to 3 quart Jobo/Patterson which fit
11 by 14's. Picked up some 11 by 14 Ilford Multigrade FB Paper (glossy
doubleweight). I used to be standardized at 11by14 now I'm going back. 8
by 10's are still nice and portable though, but they're "glossies".
Mark :-) Rabiner