Subject: [Leica] R8
From: DAVE YODER <leica@home.com>
Date: Sat, 08 May 1999 21:17:24 -0700

Well, I've finally got my R8 and I've shot a few assignments with it.
Thought I'd give my two cents on it since some people seem to be on the
fence about it.

First, it's big and a bit heavy, which I see as both good and bad. Since
I've got an R6.2, which I love dearly all but for its slow shutter
response to the button, I can handle a camera that's a bit bigger. And I
think the size helps dampen the shutter on the R8, which I've found to
have the most vibration-free operation, on the mirror upswing and
shutter opening (when it matters), of any slr I've used. This is the
body I'd definately use on those hand-held half-second shots.
It feels sturdy as hell. I hope the electronics will hold up as well.
Only time will tell.
The controls are a bit too loose for me--I'm knocked them off position a
few times by accident. The finder is easy to read and it's pretty nice.

Perhaps the greatest benefit this switch from Canon to Leica has brought
has been psychological. These cameras take me back to my J-school days
at Indiana University when we practiced a single-punch, two or three
lens discipline by design. Once again, I'm more careful about each
image, and I'm getting more along the lines of one good frame instead of
six bad ones from whatever I shoot.

Makes me want to return to the Missouri Workshop. For the third time.
Sure, I'm a bit high from a new purchasing spree, but I can't see myself
tiring of these beauties. And I bet they'll age well.

Dave Yoder