Subject: Re: [Leica] anti-Leica-ism?
From: "Bruce Feldman" <brucef@ti.cz>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 20:21:23 +0200

Erwin,

I wonder if you'd be kind enough to answer the following questions, which I
hope you'll find relevant to the present discussion:

Precisely what is your relationship with Leica?  Are you in any way
receiving payment, gratuities, or other considerations which might
compromise your ability to render independent judgments concerning Leica
products and services?

The reason I ask is that I wouldn't *normally* find credible, say, a film
review written by a critic with ties to the studio.  I don't consider it a
question of dishonesty -- so please, I hope you aren't offended in this
way -- but merely one of human nature.  I wonder whether such a critic would
really be (consciously or not) totally free to express dislike for a film
from that studio if he felt so inclined.

You've implied from time to time an unusual degree of access to the folks at
Leica, and a seeming carte blanche as far as obtaining equipment to "test."
A full disclosure by you of your ties to the company would, I think, do much
to assist LUG members in assessing your posts.

There are those who claim that there is no such thing as value-free
research; ie, that bias inevitably seeps into the experimental process at
some point.  That is an extreme position and I'm not certain that I could
fully support it.  Nonetheless, I'm sure you'll agree that full disclosure
of ties could only help a credible researcher remain as such.

Thank you for considering this request.

Bruce Feldman
Prague