Subject: Re: [Leica] Shutter Burn. Need Sunblock?
From: Mikiro Mori <arbos@silva.net>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 23:11:16 +0200

At 10:25 PM +0200 11/5/99, Folmer, Derek wrote:
>From what I understand - it is the UV which will affect the shutter - the
>shutter won't 'burn' but the UV radiation will damage it.
>
>I do not know how much exposure is enough to damage a shutter, as the camera
>& lenses I use date from the '50's I don't take a chance and have a UV
>filter + use a lens cap (but some will argue against the UV filter, as I am
>not as demanding as other Leica users, I don't see a major impact on my
>photos). I have seen what UV has done to some of my kayaking & outdoor gear
>& it is not pretty!
>Derek

I am sorry to have missed the original post. ;-) If you leave your Leicas in
the sun with the lenses toward the sun, you have chances to have the shutter
membranes burned.  Do not leave your camera (lens) pointed to the sun with
the aperture open.  You may not have the shutter burned,  but the film would
be affected.  I was told to carry Leicas (rangefinder) with lens caps on.

Leicalement,

Mikiro Mori
Strasbourg, Europe
http://members.tripod.com/arbos3/cigogne/index.html