Subject: [Leica] Re:24mm viewfinder, rebuilding Russar
From: m037iu00@cwcom.net
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 19:06:40 +0100

Tom,
The Russar finder, which if you have one, you'll know, has only one
obvious point
of entry - at the rear! The prospect od squeezing all the elements into
the front
of the finder from the small hole at the back puts me in mind of those
boats in
bottles, how do they do that?!
I presume the front surround cap is held on with a pressure fit and
maybe some
glue too, but then you'd probably have a better idea than most of us
anyway.
Certainly I've tried to remove it (before now) and never been able to,
it's
certainly secure.
Like you, the discrepancy between the Voigtlander (and Kyocera/Zeiss and
Pasoptik/Avenar/Kobalux) and Leica finders does seem to be heavily
weighted in
financial  favour of the orientals. Perhaps this an area for Leica to
explore
their methods of manufacturing, if they haven't already, and learn from
them. I
think we'd probably agree that the Leica finders have the best view (by
a small
margin) but at a strong price premium, very similar to the lenses then!

Jem