Subject: Re: [Leica] R U GUYS Finished?
From: Barney Quinn <barney@ncep.noaa.gov>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 16:54:37 -0400 (EDT)

Peter,

I am a child of the sixties. I have spent more than my fair share of
time making a pain in the butt out of my self. My efforts haven't
always been recieved with good grace. This has taught me something -
frequently it ain't what you say, it's the way what you say it. Asking
someone about their credentials is one thing. "How many of these
operations do you do a week? Etc." It's another thing to challenge
someone's good will. "You only want to do this operation on me because
you've got to make your boat payment this month." I think that suggesting
that Erwin's comments about Leica products were soft on Leica because
he was on their payroll corssed the line, and I think that is what the
fuss was about.

Fair point. There is no excuse for rudeness. Bad manners are just
that. Bad manners. I, too, had something rude to say to you, and for
that I appologize. In our conference room at my work we have a poster
with some humorous, but important, rules for meetings. Rule 8 is,
"When the horse is dead, get off it." Perhaps I am violating that rule
now. But didn't you do that, too? You, IMHO, did push the matter past
the point of propriety. Perhaps we all should have asked
ourselves. "How important is it?"

Barney