Subject: [Leica] Re: 60mm filters for 100m R Apo-Elmarit?
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 99 06:31:12 +1000

> [100mm Apo-Elmarit-R 60mm weirdo filter thread workarounds]

Many thanks for those who responded with helpful suggestions,
in particular "Adrian Bradshaw" <apbc@public1.sta.net.cn>.

In the end I found what I was looking for by trawling through
the B+H photo www site.

<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/photo/acc/stepping/stepdown.html>

60mm to 55mm "Generic Brand" GBSDR6055 $US 14.95
60mm to 55mm "Tiffen"        TISDR6055 $US 19.95

A friend of mine (based in New Orleans) has ordered this ring
& will airmail it out to me as soon as he gets it.

With this step-down ring in place I can reuse my Hoya Super HMC
filters left over from the 90mm Summicron.

A few issues before signing off:

o  Vignetting isn't an issue with the 100 Apo-Elmarit R as it
   has at least a 8mm collar inside the filter thread before the
   baffle starts which runs down to the front element.  Hence I
   could even mount a @ 52mm filter and still be safe - provided
   one could find a 60->52 step-down ring.

o  Why didn't I buy direct from B+H?  Because they have grown
   slack with answering email!  In the past (1995-97) they always
   responded to purchases @ 1 day after emailing them - not any
   more.  At the beginning of May it took them 7 working days to
   confirm a purchase I made of a Beattie Intenscreen focus screen
   for my R6.2.

o  > you might be better off ordering from Cathay Photo in Singapore

   Excellent idea for future purchases!  URL?...

o  "ross mcleish" <cram@bigpond.com> wrote:

   > Leica make a 60mm UVa filter -- you will have to wait though
   >  -- I've had a couple of Leica filters on 'backorder' for the
   > past 3 months(!)

   Ross's experience is unfortunately typical here in Aust.  :^(
   I am a commercial photographer & I need a solution *now* dammit
   and not maybe Christmas!

   Also at $AUS 170 (+30% tax), these Leica filters are so expensive &
   hard to replace that I would have to buy *another* set of filters
   just to protect them.  ;^)

   (BTW, even the Leica rep broke into a chuckle when I laughed at
   the price tag for the 60mm UV!)

   I mainly want to use the UV as a protector filter when I am working
   in dirty + dangerous environments (a couple of years ago I did a
   shoot in a beer bottling plant with empty bottles flying past the
   camera - sometimes quite literally.  Ack!)

o  The distributor for B+W filters in Australia is Adeal, the same
   outfit who distribute Leica.  I had the poor guys go through their
   warehouse yesterday hunting for filters.  Turned out that there
   were no 60mm UVs and only 1 60mm 80B, no 80A though.

o  [Image degradation on the 100mm Apo when filters are used]

   Of course - no argument.  Hence I would only use them when I absolutely
   need to, in gritty, oily environments (UV) or where I am shooting
   under tungsten (or even sodium vapour!) light with PJ100 daylight film
   (80A).

But all this is by-the-by.  The Tiffen 60->55mm step-down ring is on
its way and I should get it next week.  Happy ending!

Regds,

Andrew Nemeth
www.nemeng.com