Subject: [Leica] Re: report 70-180 part 2, women lens designers
From: Mikiro Mori <arbos@silva.net>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 13:42:50 +0200

Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com> wrote:
snip
>About women lens designers. I read, a year or so ago, about one of
>Schneider's chief lens designers, a woman, who came up through Schneider
>from a low level menial job. She was not schooled as an optical engineer,
>but learned the trade at Schneider. She is (if I remember correctly)
>responsible for the aspheric lenses and the line of HM lenses. My most
>prized LF lens is my 120mm Super Symmar HM. Of the loupes that I have,
>clearly the best, by a large margin, is the Schneider 6x ASPH.
snip

Konishiroku (Konica) also had (or still has) a very talented woman lens
designer.  If my memory serves, she designed a 40 mm lens for the Konica SLR
which I heard has a very characteristic design.  It appears to me that lens
design is something like an art of cooking rather than solving equations, I
do respect women's sense/taste in this field.  Some women chefs are really
great. :-)

Leicalement,

Mikiro Mori
Strasbourg, Europe