Subject: Re: [Leica] Sharpness and handholding (was leica report 70-180)
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 09:23:32 -0700

Garth Jolly wrote:

<<<<This reminds me of a question I've always been meaning to ask. Most of
my shots with my M6 are handheld.  When I can, I apply the rule of 1/ the
focal length of the lens to get a minimum shutter speed for handholding (so
the minimum speed      for a 50mm lens is 1/60s).  If possible, I shoot one
shutter speed faster (so for a 50mm lens 1/125 second).   (cut)

At want point in using faster shutter speeds does the law of diminishing
returns mean that any camera shake will be so subtle as to be
imperceptible?  >>>>>>

Hi Garth,

A very simple method of shutter speed and aperture that I have used for
years and one doesn't need to remember technical aspects as it works
effectivelly in situations where one doesn't require a great depth of
field. Which is the case in many photo situations.

I always try to work at the widest possible aperture and the highest
possible shutter speed.  In this manner the combination might be 1000 at
f1.4 on a 180mm  f2.8 or with the R8 1/8000 at 2.8.

If you work in this manner and learning to make it work effectively, it
eliminates much unwanted distracting backgrounds by becoming an enhancing
mush of colour or B&W gradations. And assists in cutting camera vibration.
I might clarify, "not always" as there is a limit to how steady any human
can hand hold a camera at slow shutter speeds.

Yep and I bet there will be some who say "I can hand hold at 1 second."
Well I don't doubt it as I've squeezed a few of them myself and they have
worked. But lots of times? Nope! These occur when it's a complete "Hail
Mary" hoping you are going to get an image no one else has made.  Would
they stand-up to 16X20 enlargements? Some might, but the chances are most
wouldn't.

One thing, going wide and high in some cases that combination might be an
aperture of 1,0 at 1/15th with 3200 available darkness film due to lighting
conditions. However, at the slower shutter speeds one merely uses greater
care in squeezing the soft release shutter button, controlling breathing
and or leaning / bracing oneself against something for supoort.

Sure there are lenses, "long-heavy" that without question the ratio of
sharp images increases with the use of a tripod. At one time I could hand
hold some pretty long glass and every image was as sharp as though it were
off a tripod.  But old father time comes to play along with miscalculated
parachute jumping injuries and the strength goes out of the right shoulder
and upper arm.

In your mind you think you can do it, but in reality it is best to use the
tripod or in the case of sports where tripods are not allowed, the monopod
is most effective.

So think wide aperture and high shutter speeds and this will always or
should be on your side in eliminating the "shakies!"

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant