Subject: Re: [Leica] remote metz flash and the R6.2
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 09:39:29 -0800

Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter) wrote:

> This information is provided using pulsed infrared signaling from the main
> flash.
> Not sure of the distance limitations off the top.

distance up to 60 feet and sync speed in TTL (using the IR trigger) is
1/60th.  So some limitations.  I've never used one but have studied the
catalog to figure if it would work for me.

The Canon and Nikon TTL remotes, as well as the LiteLink remote operate
on white light, so don't have sync speed limitations.  The newest Canon
runs on pulse coded white light so you can have channels.  But the IR of
the Metz (same as Minolta) takes longer to send.  BTW, if you use a
Metz, the Minolta smart flashes will work perfectly, I'm told.

If you don't need TTL (depending on how much of frame is lit by flash
the meter may have limited accuracy), just use either auto or manual and
a cheapish (they all seem rather expensive) slave eye.  Or rent a radio
remote for the ultimate in freedom.

Once I was doing a corporate shoot from outside an office through sealed
window with strobes inside.  Had a IR flash trigger, but apparently the
UV filter on the window blocked the IR trigger.  Didn't hve a radio at
the time.  Ended up running 300 feet of extension cord around building
to the office to plug into my Balcars.

With some jobs, just figuring out how to get it accomplished is the
"creative" part.

donal
- --
Donal Philby