Subject: Re: [Leica] Sharpness and handholding (was leica report 70-180)
From: "Gareth Jolly" <garethjolly@bigpond.com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 11:27:47 +1000

Thanks, Ted and everybody else who responded.

Ted, this is the direction I've been heading towards, although frankly I
don't trust my focussing ability to shoot at maximum aperture unless I'm
forced to by light conditions.

I started with the 1/focal length rule, then it dawned on me that I simply
wasn't getting the best performance from my lens.

In saying this, I am aware (of course) that the dictates of depth of field
for particular shots mean that I won't invariably use this approach.  In
addition, I use an older (1970s) 50mm Summicron - so Erwin's test results
tell me that it will not perform as well as the new 50mms at full aperture.

I'm using a Nikon soft release on my M6.  Only one I could find easily in
Australia.

As Ted says, it is a percentage game.  I've had some shots work at 1/15
second with an SLR.  Some shots.  But you loose a heap of shots as well, due
to camera shake or subject movement.  I've also tested out my M6 in some
horrendous lighting conditions and it has produced shots I don't think you'd
be able to get with any other camera.

What did interest me about Erwin's report was the suggestion that
performance of a 70-180 zoom continued to improve at (from memory) 1/2000 s
and 1/4000 s.  You apply the 1/focal length rule and it says 1/250 should be
ok - 1/500s great etc.

One direction all this can lead you in (as far as photojournalism is
concerned) is to move to films like Fuji Neopan 1600, as standard.  A couple
of extra stops, but still relatively fine grain, to enable you to use faster
shutter speeds.

With most landscapes, where depth of field won't be an issue, I think I'll
just shoot a stop or two down from maximum aperture.

BTW, has anyone tried travelling with Neopan 1600?  Can it survive repeated
Xrays in thick lead bag?  I'm travelling to China, taking a lot of internal
flights, and I'm concerned I might be refused a hand inspection.

Oh and on the issue of the size of enlargements.  I work on the theory that
potentially I could want to enlarge a shot up to 20 x 24.  99% shots I
won't, of course.  But you never know when you might be taking your world
famous shot.

Thanks
Gareth Jolly

Sydney, Australia