Subject: Re: [Leica] Reassuring the public
From: chefurka@magma.ca (Paul Chefurka)
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 04:11:30 GMT

I want to thank all the LUGnuts who contributed suggestions, and to
pass along my plans and what occurred today.

First off, the suggestion of carrying a small portfolio is right on
the mark.  I made one up this afternoon - a couple of dozen 4x6's,
small enough to carry in my bag whenever I shoot.  The first page
contains my Camera Club of Ottawa membership card and some business
cards from work (so they can see I make my money from something
besides kiddie porn).

Secondly, I realized that "I'm just doing this for the love of it"
really doesn't cut it.  People want to know A REASON why you're
shooting, especially kids.  My answer is now "The camera club I belong
to has a photo-essay competition every year, and I decided to do an
essay on this park and the things that go on here.  I'm hoping that
when I enter the competition this fall with the pictures I'm shooting
here, I'll win."  (Just so you know, the club does hold this
competition every year, and since I now have to stay a member for
credibility purposes, I might as well enter and win it. :-)

Third, I'm going to have all the stuff I shoot for this essay double
proofed.  It costs next to nothing, and I can then tell people that if
they would like one of the pictures I've taken they can get in touch
with me at the phone number on my card.  I would then invite them to
my home (so I don't ever get to find out where they live), and give
them whatever they would like from the second set of prints.

Fourth, I'm going to refrain from shooting in the play area till the
regulars at the park have seen me around and gotten used to my
presence.  I figure I'll give it a month or two. Till then it's adults
and families in the open areas of the park.

All in all a straight-forward set of procedures, that should go a long
way toward retaining or regaining goodwill.

And now, the story:

I headed over to the park again tonight at dinner time, and had a
couple of great hours shooting my brains out.  As I was leaving, I saw
the fellow who had spoken to me last night, thereby precipitating this
whole round of soul-searching.  I went over to him, and asked if he
would like to see some of the work I've done.  He said he would very
much like to see it, so I handed over my little album.  He took one of
my cards, then he and his family went through the photos.  They loved
them.  I told him about the essay competition, and he said "Ahhh.   So
*that's* what you're doing!"  I reassured him that I fully understood
his concerns, he said he now accepted that I was one of the good guys
and wished me luck in the competition.  We shook hands and parted as
friends.

A perfect outcome, a learning experience for me, and yet another
vindication of the collective LUG wisdom.

Thanks again, everybody.

Paul Chefurka