Subject: Re: [Leica] new Digilux arriving?
From: "Dan S" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 04:08:51 GMT

Jeff, they have not made a portable digital camera yet that can actually
fool you into thinking it was a film camera.  Color rendition and management
of highlights are still a big problem.  The Fuji/Digilux got mixed reviews
when it came out.  Lens quality just does not come into play yet on small
digital cameras.  You could have the best lens in the world on it and the
color will still stink.

If you really are interested in digital, still life shots with a big bucks
scanner are the way to go.  My company is using a large format camera with a
scanner back for many promo shots and the quality is very high.

The S1 from Leica is also quite exceptional.  I have seen poster size shots
that are absolutely stunning.

Of course this will all change in the next 5 years...Wouldn't a digital back
for an M6 be fun!

Dan