Subject: [Leica] BIG Leica
From: Frank Dernie <FrankDernie@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 07:38:38 -0400

Ken Wilcox wrote
>After a couple of years of drooling over it, yesterday I purchased a
Mamiya
>7 II along with 80mm and 50mm lenses and 35 adapter.
snip

>Any LUGgers using the 7 or 7 II? Oddities of operation that I should be
>aware of? (And why did Mamiya make the meter to change pattern with
>different lenses?)

Ken I have used the Mamiya 7 for about a year now. It is now my camera of
choice if the light is strong - those lenses are slow - otherwise it is
still the M6.
Anyone who thinks a Leica has a quiet low vibration shutter should try one!
It is much quieter just being an in lens leaf. In fact the Mamiya 7 is to
medium format cameras what the M Leica is to 35mm only more so, the
contrast in noise and weight is HUGE. Its lenses are a touch slower than
many SLR equivalents however unlike the Leica which is either equal or
faster to most competing SLR options.

The meter is actually mounted in the rangefinder and looks through the
rangefinder spot, not the lens. This gives the effect of changing the
apparent coverage with each lens. I wish they would print this fact because
once one knows this the semi spot meter is perfect and easy to use. I
imagine they are embarrased to admit it is not TTL in this day and age!
Hence the verbose BS in the manual! OTOH it could be different for the Mark
II.

The led speed indicators are hard to see, but not a disaster.

My only real problem has been accidental exposures whilst switching off. My
ham fistedness I think

Cheers Frank