Subject: Re: [Leica] new Digilux arriving?
From: Thomas Kachadurian <kach@freeway.net>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 14:32:10 -0400

Dan:

Clearly you haven't used a Nikon Coolpix 950, which I have had for about 2
weeks.

At up to a 6x8 print you'd have trouble telling it from the best of 35mm
cameras. As a scan in the computer it rivals ANY image from a Leica scanned
with the very best scanner.

In many ways the images from the 950 have a better tonality that those made
on film with Nikon lenses. I want to figure out how to get a group of 6 of
those 2.1 megapixel CCDs into an array and into an M6 body. I'm convinced
you could create a digital file that would be far better than the best
medium format image and would rival 4x5 as well!

Tom

At 12:08 AM -0400 5/17/99, Dan S wrote:
>Jeff, they have not made a portable digital camera yet that can actually
>fool you into thinking it was a film camera.  Color rendition and management
>of highlights are still a big problem.  The Fuji/Digilux got mixed reviews
>when it came out.  Lens quality just does not come into play yet on small
>digital cameras.  You could have the best lens in the world on it and the
>color will still stink.
>
>If you really are interested in digital, still life shots with a big bucks
>scanner are the way to go.  My company is using a large format camera with a
>scanner back for many promo shots and the quality is very high.
>
>The S1 from Leica is also quite exceptional.  I have seen poster size shots
>that are absolutely stunning.
>
>Of course this will all change in the next 5 years...Wouldn't a digital back
>for an M6 be fun!
>
>Dan

Thomas Kachadurian
EMAIL: kach@freeway.net