Subject: [Leica] Beattie Intenscreen for Leica R4-7
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 99 06:04:47 +1000

Just got one of these focus screens to augment the standard
screen which came with my R6.2.

I got the clear screen version (no gridlines), with a 45-degree
diagonal split-prisim rangefinder.

Impressions:

o  @ 20% brighter
o  slightly less grainy, so it is easier to focus on the edges
   of the screen
o  the plastic tab which sticks out of one side of the screen
   is slightly wider than that on the Leica original, so
   instead of clicking into place, the Intenscreen nestles
   into place & is just gripped firmly.  Time will tell if
   it is firm enough to withstand bouncing around in my
   camera case.  (If not, then I'll have to file the sides
   of the tab down with a nail-file, a delicate operation to
   say the least!)

Conclusions:

o  It is slightly better than the standard Leica screen,
   but not overwhelmingly so.
o  At $US 60, it isn't cheap - but if you need a replacement
   screen because the original is scratched (or you can't
   live without a 45-degree diagonal rangefinder), then it
   will do.
o  Because it transmits (slightly) more light, the instructions
   which come with the screen warn you that with an R4, you
   will have to make EV allowances when using the camera exposure
   meter on manual.  You won't have to do so however when you
   use the camera on auto as this is metered through the mirror
   in the camera body (and not the pentaprism).  This switcheroo
   would be a real pain for R4 users!

Hardly a ringing endorsement, no?... ;^)

I got mine from B&H, but the manufacturers details are:

Fresnel Optics
1300 Mt. Read Blvd
Rochester NY 14606
ph: 1-888-373-7635