Subject: Re: [Leica] new Digilux arriving?
From: "4Season" <4Season@boulder.net>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 09:41:16 -0600

Thanks to everyone who replied! I'm back-burnering the purchase of another
digital camera, because the Epson Stylus Photo 1200 has finally been
released to the US market as of Monday the 17th, and I sure could use a
printer right now. Meanwhile, I think I'll simply borrow the Kodak DC260
from the office and fuss with that for awhile, and see how far I can take
it. The Kodak has been well-liked by everyone for quick snapshots and some
product shots where speed and low cost were more important than quality,
though for more carefully controlled photos, it relinquishes control only
reluctantly, through a couple of fussy little rubberized buttons. I've taken
just 100 photos with it in the past few months and have never really taken
it into the field or tried using it beside my film cameras, and have not yet
had the means of obtaining high quality prints. My feeling thus far is that
it's not bad if you're willing to work with it. My initial thought is that
I'll be wanting to keep the resolution of the printouts at 288-300 DPI for
highest quality results, which makes for a smallish but still enjoyable,
photo. An obvious digital camera + photo printer project is (for me)
photographing street signs, storefronts and other flat expanses, reducing to
1:220 scale, and printing out a wealth of Z-scale (and G!) detail parrts on
a single sheet of paper! I enjoy the combined hobbies of photography and
model-making (particularly when it has to look convincing)--they keep one's
powers of observation sharp, and allow almost endless fascination in things
that others ignore. Best of all, the same flat, featureless light that I
generally find so boring for my regular photos is just about perfect for the
detail photos, hence "magic hour" is greatly extended.

Mavica? I like some of the features, but I'm afraid a floppy disk camera
won't work--on a hunch, I asked to see the specs, and sure enough, there are
dire warnings about minimum temperatures! I am out in sub-freezing weather a
LOT with my gear, and would be seriously annoyed at worrying over moisture
condensing on the floppy disks.

Jeff