Subject: Re: [Leica] UV or not UV
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 11:55:43 -0400

Hi Albert, You have  - unfortunately - asked the LUG equivalent of "Is there
a God?" Or, "Is Scotch better than bourbon?" or "which is better,
rangefinder or reflex?"

Which is to say that there are some quite rabidly  - and well thought out
- -conflicting opinions, neigh, beliefs, on the subject, to wit:

   * Putting a UV filter on a Leica lens makes as much sense as putting a
     piece of scratched, dirty glass over the Mona Lisa. You paid a fortune
     for the best optics money - at least your money - could buy, so how
     much sense does it make to degrade the performance of those optics;
   * Not putting a UV filter on a Leica lens makes as much sense as leaving
     the Mona Lisa unprotected, propped against the wall in the arts and
     crafts area of a kindergarten class room. You paid a fortune for the
     best optics money - at least your money - could buy, so shouldn't you
     invest in a good filter to protect the front element of the lens from
     dirt, sand, mud, angry Kosovars, etc."

The bottom line? There is no bottom line. Some swear they see no difference
in image quality using good filters, others swear they do. Leica does NOT
suggest using them under normal circumstances, and those who know far more
than I say that the UV coating of modern Leica lenses negates the need for a
UV filter and the hardness of that coating negates the need for any further
protection.

So what to do? What ever makes you happy and more inclined to take more
photos under more and more varied circumstances.

B. D.