Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Jobo and wash aids
From: "Glen M. Robinson" <gmrobinson@imation.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 08:21:14 -0500

Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net> on 05/21/99 06:37:39 AM

Please respond to leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

At 08:54 PM 20-05-99 -0700, you wrote:
>The current issue of the JOBO newsletter arrived. They said that "any"
>wetting agent will build up over time, on your
>reels, making them difficult to load. Basically, don't put your reels in
>any wetting agent.

I have read this advice many times before and it does not make sense.  Photo Flo
and the other like materials are nothing other than very dilute and highly
soluble surfactants (soap) .  Most photographers only mix three or four drops of
the stock wetting agent in the water in a developing tank, normally sixteen
ounces.  Adequate rinsing of reels placed in the diluted wetting agent should
remove any lingering traces of the agent.  Placing reels containing freshly
processed film in a Photo Flo solution has been my practice for the past 25
years and I have never experienced any problems with reels.  If wetting agents
build up on rinsed reels then we had better stop washing dishes.

Glen Robinson