Subject: Re: [Leica] studio photography
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 07:41:44 -0800

Simontart,

I have done much of what you are discussing doing--studio portraits--and
would be glad to advise you further, though it would probably be better
privately since it is non Leica related.

But quickly--

Forget battery operated units, especially if you are planning to use
softboxes, panels, etc.  These things eat light like you wouldn't
believe.  A soft box can drop you 3 stops.  And the cost of high powered
units such as the Metz 50 is more that studio units with 2-3 times the
power.  Plus modeling lights--invaluable.

Personally, I would look at the White Lightning Ultra units.  Even the
smallest should do fine.  Cheap, reliable and great service.

Alternatively, you could opt for the Hollywood 30's look and go for hard
lights.  You can pick up used and even new ones for pretty cheap.  get
at least a couple Frennel (sp?) focusing spots for this.  Use higher
speed film and you'll still be shooting at f/5/6 and a 1/30th.  Maybe
1/60.

If you use strobe, a polaroid back or another camera with polaroid
capabilities is a must.  You might get away with things with a light
meter and a lot of experience for BW, but for color, things are too
critical.

You better love doing this, because it is a lot of investment in time
and energy.  But deeply rendered portraiture, such as Karsh,
Demarchlier, Penn, Curtis and a few others accomplish are among the
photographs I most value.  Simple is supreme.  Study the work of Scuvalo
(from Chicago).  Virtually everything he does is with one light.  He
said he had to learn to do it that way because he could only afford one
light.  You might follow suit and learn one light.  Then perhaps add
another.  And forget all those films.  Pick one and don't change for two
years.  Learn it.

donal
- --
Donal Philby