Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Filter and shades
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 19:29:04 -0700

Jim Brick wrote:

> Thank you Marc...
snip
> At 07:25 PM 5/24/99 -0400, Marc wrote:
snip
> >TAKE OFF THE FLIPPIN' FILTER WHEN SHOOTING.  It is that simple.  Is
> >something obscure in the language of this?
> >
> >What bloody protection do you NEED in most cases?  From the AIR?  From
> >SUNLIGHT?  Or, mayhaps, from MOONLIGHT?  Not all of us hike Mount Everest
> >or live, as Jim Brick does, in a salt-marsh.  Most of us live in relatively
> >temperate climes and use our Leica gear in routine environments.  SO, GIVEN
> >THIS:  WHY USE THE BLOODY FILTER?
> >
> >My local camera store used to pound on and pound on and pound on about the
> >value of that "protection" filter.  They recently got bought out by another
> >company which never mentions the "protection" filter.  You pays your money,
> >and you takes your choice.
snip
> >Buddy boys, get with the programme:  USE THE TOOLS TO TAKE PICTURES, and,
> >you lousy ward-heelers, sons of Zapata, heirs to Chingza, or whoever you
> >might regard yourselves as, TAKE OFF THE BLOODY FILTERS!
> >
> >I have said enough.  I will keep quiet, for at least 11 minutes.  I
> >promise.  But there are no filters on MY Leica lenses when I shoot, unless
snip
Five more filters and your camera clerk gets a trip to Hawaii.
If you can't throw em in the back of you pickup what the heck good are
they! Almost..
I agree with this lenes are tools stop prissing around with the stupid
UV filter's thread 100 percent. You almost never see pros use' em. To me
its the mark of the amateur not that that's so terrible. That and cheep
tripods. Resin filters really freak me out but that's another ball of
tree sap. I'm a disorganized slob and a clutz and I've never scratched a
lens. Once in a blue moon do people who work behind camera store
counters tell me anything which is of any value or is not plain wrong.
Plenty of exceptions to that one though as there is probably at least
one credible clerk in any decent town. That's it.
Mark Rabiner