Subject: Re: [Leica] My new IIIf
From: Martin Howard <marho@ikp.liu.se>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 13:24:35 +0200

Congratulations, Nathan, on your IIIf!

> 1) The lens is already mounted on the camera. If I grab it by the
> ribbed front element, I can rotate it freely--is this normal?

AFAIK, there is a bayonet catch on the inside of the barrel, which means
that if you pull the lens out to its maximum extention and then twist
it, it should lock in that position.  At least, the Summar and the
E39 Elmar are like that.  I'm assuming that all collapsible lenses are.

> 2) To collapse it, I can simply push it in. I am assuming that the
> lens> should be in the infinity position when I do that, is this
> correct?

I don't think it matters much, but I usually leave my E39 Elmar in the
infinity lock position, simply because it makes extending and locking
the barrel easier.

> 3) How do I take the lens off? Do I simply turn it and if so, is it
> clockwise or counterclockwise? And does the lens have to be collapsed
> or extended when mounting/dismounting?

I mount and dismount the lenses in the extended position.  I cannot
remember off hand which direction you turn it in, but it is the
'obvious' one ;-)

> 4) I have no idea how to change shutter speed.

You set the shutter speeds by FIRST cocking the shutter, then lifting
the shutter speed dial (on top of the camera) and moving it so that the
correct speed is opposite the index mark.  The shutter must be cocked
for this.  Also, remember to LIFT the shutter speed dial before moving
it.

The slow shutter speed dial should be set to it's fastest speed before
you change the top shutter speed dial to anything other than "25-1".

> 5) Finally, how do I reset the film counter to 0 after loading a film?
> Is it done automatically like on the M series, or is there something
> that has to be done manually?

When the A-R leaver has been moved to the 'R' position, you can move the
film advance knob freely.  Simply set it to '0' before loading a film.

> I am hunting around for the Hove manual reprint, but in the meantime I
> would really appreciate some answers from the screw-mount users here.

Try Jessops Classic Cameras in London.  That's where I got my manual.
Alternatively, I could photocopy the IIIf section of the manual for
you if you supply a mail address (private email).

M.

- --
Martin Howard, Grad. Schl. for Human-Machine Interaction,  |
HMI/IKP, Linkoping University, SE-581 83 Linkoping, Sweden.|    Just
Tel: +46 13 28 5741; Fax: +46 28 2579; ICQ: 354739         | say "DOOH"
E-mail: marho@ikp.liu.se; www.iav.ikp.liu.se/staff/marho/  +------------