Subject: RE: [Leica] UV filters - and other one-sided "holy wars"
From: Buzz Hausner <Buzz@marianmanor.org>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 09:44:05 -0400

- ------ =_NextPart_001_01BEA6B4.A80B50D0

> Reading some of the forcefully-expressed opinions of the anti-filter
> brigade, I'm slightly mystified by the one-sided nature of the
> discussion - the pro-filter zealots doesn't seem to suffer the same
> urge to express themselves so hotly.

	Greetings Doug,

		I presume that your post refereed to Marc Small's recent
response to the UV filter question.  It is true that Marc can be rather
definite in his feelings, but as one who has challenged Marc and been the
recipient of more than one of his thoughtful screeds (eh, Marc?), I can say
that they never consist of opinion dressed as fact.

		The UV filter question appears on the list quite regularly,
usually from a new member.  I for one think that the new members generally
are treated with respect for asking an honest question.  However, I also
understand how people who have been through multiple iterations of the same
question and the same exchange of answers can wish the exchange to stop and
act forcefully to stop it.

		Regarding the collectors versus users matters on the Leica
USERS Group, this is a battle that rages on this list and off.  I suppose
that at the end of the day the users should be grateful that collectors
provide good material to the market and that collectors might be grateful to
users for keeping the line alive and moving on to new equipment so that old
equipment gains collector value.  However, like many symbiotic
relationships, the kin in this family often bicker and call one another
appalling names.  Its a sibling thing and to be expected.

		Buzz Haunter

- ------ =_NextPart_001_01BEA6B4.A80B50D0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3DUS-ASCII">
5.0.1460.9">
<TITLE>RE: [Leica] UV filters - and other one-sided &quot;holy =
wars&quot;</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<UL>
<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Reading some of the =
forcefully-expressed opinions of the anti-filter</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">brigade, I'm =
slightly mystified by the one-sided nature of the</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">discussion - the =
pro-filter zealots doesn't seem to suffer the same</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">urge to express =
themselves so hotly.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Book =
Antiqua">Greetings<B><I></I></B><I></I> Doug,</FONT><FONT =
COLOR=3D"#000000" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial"> </FONT>
</P>

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" =
SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Book Antiqua">I presume that your post refereed to =
Marc Small's recent response to the UV filter question.&nbsp; It is =
true that Marc can be rather definite in his feelings, but as one who =
has challenged Marc and been the recipient of more than one of his =
thoughtful screeds (eh, Marc?), I can say that they never consist of =
opinion dressed as fact.</FONT></P>

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" =
SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Book Antiqua">The UV filter question appears on the =
list quite regularly, usually from a new member.&nbsp; I for one think =
that the new members generally are treated with respect for asking an =
honest question.&nbsp; However, I also understand how people who have =
been through multiple iterations of the same question and the same =
exchange of answers can wish the exchange to stop and act forcefully to =
stop it.</FONT></P>

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" =
SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Book Antiqua">Regarding the collectors versus users =
matters on the Leica USERS Group, this is a battle that rages on this =
list and off.&nbsp; I suppose that at the end of the day the users =
should be grateful that collectors provide good material to the market =
and that collectors might be grateful to users for keeping the line =
alive and moving on to new equipment so that old equipment gains =
collector value.&nbsp; However, like many symbiotic relationships, the =
kin in this family often bicker and call one another appalling =
names.&nbsp; Its a sibling thing and to be expected.</FONT></P>

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" =
SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Book Antiqua">Buzz Haunter</FONT>
</P>
</UL>
</BODY>
</HTML>