Subject: Re: [Leica] UV filters - and other one-sided "holy wars"
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 09:58:14 -0400

Bernard-
Working in the camera store, lurking in the lab and listening to the sales
people I have discovered a hoorible fact! The reason so many people put that
$10 piece of glass in front of a $2000 lens is that the people who sell
cameras usually get, at most, $10-15 dollars on the sale of a camera outfit-
usually 500-600 dollars. If they sell a filter, a battery and some film, a
case to put it in, they make almost as much! On a 1000 dollar camera, they
get more money selling an extended warranty than they do selling the camera!
It's simply economics! For the most part, I keep my mouth shut except when I
am teaching one of our staff the niceties of taking a halfway decent photo-
The manager, who went to photography school, will admit that for most cases,
a filter is superfluos, but our job, as he is wont to say, is to sell what
the man has in stock!
Again, if experience dictates, the filters will find their place in a drawer
somewhere, and wisdom will prevail!
Dan