Subject: [Leica] 28/2.8 R
From: "Anderson, Ferrel" <AndersonF@ria.army.mil>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 10:55:22 -0500

I have not used the new lens, which I understand, from reading the Leica
literature, is superior to the previous computation in the close focus range
(i.e., 1.5 meters and below).  I own the previous design, and have found it
to be the most brilliant Leica lens I own.  Vignetting is not visable past f
2.8, and at f2.8 it is not abjectionable.  It is very sharp and contrasty.
If you don't need a flat field at close distances, the earlier version is
highly recommended.  Added advantages are small size and weight.  Another
factor is filter size.  The earlier version uses series VII filters held by
the lens hood or E48 screw in filters.  I believe the newer version uses E55
filters.