Subject: [Leica] Re: UV filters and camera stores
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 21:24:19 -0700

The last Leica workshop that I taught was sponsored by a major photographic
supplier in San Francisco. I was asked, before the workshop, to not tell
people that they should not buy a UV "protection" filter when they buy a
lens, because the filter is a source of revenue for the store. So I never
mentioned UV filters. Instead, I showed everyone all of the filters that I
do use (polarizer, KR3, KR6, KB3, ND, split ND, color grads, etc.) I even
showed them my use of two Heliopan polarizers for simple M camera polarizer
use, and I simply stated that filters should be used when there will be a
"beneficial result" to the image, and that one must be very careful of
where you point a camera with filter attached. I showed appropriate slides.
So assuming there were some folks there with an IQ in at least the higher
double digits, they could extrapolate what I said in terms of the basically
useless UV filter.

The proprietor was very happy because many of these people were now going
to buy expensive, and very useful, filters. They learned when to use them,
and, almost more importantly, when not to use them.

Jim