Subject: RE: [Leica] News from Belgrade
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 10:47:06 +0200

Tina,

Maybe the Internet and satellite TV help 'undistort the truth', but, also,
maybe not.

There are plenty of newsgroups and other forums on the Net today where
interested luggers will find out how painfully hateful the Internet
community really is. The various Yugoslav oriented groups overflow with the
most putrid insults and threats. From all sides. The Internet is as much
the dreamed soap box of everything the real world counts of nationalist
racist imperialist loonies as it is a tool for the democratic expression of
the quest for a more peaceful and humane world.

Regarding satellite TV, after initial enthousiasm (due more to the lively
editing and the general tone of comments than to content), most people look
at it the same way they look at state run propaganda broadcasts: with
confidence or defiance depending on who they want to believe. CNN or BBC
World are considered as US propaganda tools by a large number of viewers,
even here in western Europe. I know people here in Belgium, living less
than a mile away form Nato HQ, who genuinely consider that the only
accessible 'truth' about Kosovo is what is relayed in Russian and Chinese
media, and who see the shelling of the Serbian TV as a further proof that
Nato is manipulating and hiding the real 'truth'. Those views have high
momentum in Europe's public opinions, despite daily 'neutral' TV coverage
at the Albanian and Macedonian borders. Or, maybe, because of it ?

Regarding the testimonial value of (Leica) images: we all suffer from the
Timisoara syndrom, and have learned not to believe what we see. It is not
the images or the words that count anymore, it is the identity and
loyalties of the person who supplies those images or words. That also goes
for pictures shot through a filter free 35mm summilux-asph. Now that I know
you are a Republican, Tina, I shall never believe you anymore ;-)

Serbia is not Irak, and the Serbs are not deprived from access to outside
information: they plainly and simply do not believe it.

Anyway, the LUG is a bad place to discuss those matters: it has shown how
it can be collectively carried away in agressive confrontations for much
more benign subjects. A war, such as the one our representatives are waging
in our names in the Balkans, is not a benign subject.

In the sincere hope Vladan, our LUG 'comrade', does not get hurt and does
not get to hurt anyone,

Friendly regards,

Alan