Subject: Re: [Leica] ownership of negs.
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 09:37:52 -0700

"Moore,Andrew" wrote:

> When I shoot portraits (etc.) for friends, I (an amateur photog)
> usually retain the negatives, and I deliver prints.
>
> Next month I'll be shooting an event for a company, which wants
> to "buy out" the negatives from the hour-long shoot.  At risk of
> starting a "how much should I charge" thread (we've been through
> that one), can any LUGgers with experience in this area give me an
> idea as to how this sort of "buy out" might affect the cost of the job?
> I'm not necessarily asking for specific prices (it will vary with region
> and probably a million other variables).
>
> The shoot will be an hour long, on location, documentary/journalistic
> style, on color negative film.  The company will be using these photos
> internally (displays, etc.) and probably in trade journals and maybe a
> local newspaper.
>
> --Andrew
> no archive

The ASMP book said triple your rate and referred to IBM's traditional
buyouts on all jobs and willingness to do so.
These guys are just penny pinching and over controlling will have these
negs printed God knows how. (lowest quote) If they had any respect for
you they would let you handle it. Quoting a tripled rate could easily
earn you their respect and allow you to handle it. (They will let you
keep the negs) An hour job is the smallest bucks but one display could
earn you ten times that with you having it handled right and earning a
standard 40% markup.
I am in possession of pretty much every negative I have ever shot in a
30 year career. Getting your negs is getting your copywrite. The only
way to get respect is to demand it; or simply quote it.(On paper) People
have great respect for numbers on paper. Not a voice on a telephone. A
large print of them is worth more than an hour of your measly time. Make
them big, beautiful and plaster them on their walls and charge them a
bundle. They'll ask for more.
Mark Rabiner