Subject: Re: [Leica] Excess Diaphragm Markings
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 23:40:49 -0700

>I am just curious.  My f4/135 (E39), SN 3,465,680, has the diaphragm
>engravings and setting mark on both the top and bottom of the lens.  Can
>any of the technically or historically inclined tell me why this lens has
>two sets of markings?  Thanks in advance.
>
>        Buzz Hausner

This lens was often used for closeups on the bellows. It does not
necessarily line up with the top apertures visible when mounted in this
manner, and when you have a strange closeup setup. Having the aperture
range on both sides makes things easier.
   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com