Subject: Re: [Leica] 28 mm-R PC Super-Angulon
From: Bernard <5521.g23@g23.relcom.ru>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 13:40:42 +0400

Pascal wrote:

> Bernard:
>
> is it necessary to use the PC Super Angulon on a tripod or can you
> take handheld shots?

It's possible to take a shot handheld, just as much as it's possible to
take a good handheld shot with a 21mm lens. What I mean is that it can
be done, but you must watch your verticals very very carefully.
Personally, I take my shots from a tripod.

> I have read somewhere that it would be unfeasible to use this lens
> without a tripod.

Again, it's possible, but it sort of kills the effect a bit. The idea
behind having a PC lens it getting your verticals straight. If you go
all the way of paying its price and lugging it along, you'd better go
the extra mile and place your camera on a tripod to measure out those
verticals and get all 100% of what you're after. But if somehow you're
caught in a situation where you don't have your tripod handy, you can
use the lens just fine, as long as you don't rush things.

> Other question: can this lens be double-used as a "normal" 28mm ? How
> is its optical behavior vis-à-vis the normal 28mm?

Jim Brick uses it as a normal 28mm lens, but me, I don't like having to
stop down manually when it's not a slow architecture shot. The sun shade
hood doesn't do much in terms of physical lens protection, I should add;
it's a huge, *flat*, saucer-like thing. The lens hood on my 24mm is a
great lens protector and so much more compact. The weird shape of the
hood of the PC also renders the lens more prone to flare. All in all, I
find it entirely impractical as a "normal" 28mm lens. As far as an
optical comparison is concerned, I don't have a regular 28mm for
comparison. I have a 24mm, and the PC seems to be just as good to me,
(it's really a stunning lens, optically), but I repeat, it *must* be
stopped down to f11 when shifting.

Bernard