Subject: Re: [Leica] "demos"
From: m037iu00@cwcom.net
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 22:52:49 +0100

Dave,
For our UK compatriots I had a conversation today with one of Leica's
largest retailers here, Classic Connection (in Pied Bull Yard, London -
incidentally The Rare Camera Company there has ceased trading, the shop is
empty, though a sign proclaims an imminent ressurection...).

Firstly they denied that anything similar to the US experience went on here.
They occassionally sell 'demo' gear which they are told comes either from
the Leica School (at Milton Keynes) or demo stock from the travelling
salesmen (they still exist?!)
Leica also let them buy new stock to demo to customers at a reduced price
which they can of course then sell on how they choose.
Recently there have been several 'end of line' lenses anxious to be shifted,
eg the old 180/2.8 at £ 699 UKP. These are advertised, surprisingly to me,
also as demo stock, I suppose, in order to provide a believable reason why
the lenses should be sold off so cheaply.

Of course this may only be how this dealer sees things...

Jem