Subject: Re: [Leica] "demos"
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 20:13:14 +0200

Pascal,

Many high-end products are assembled outside the "home country" of the
company. As long as buyers can be confident that the standards are monitored
by the parent company, I do not think it matters all that much. BMW and
Mercedes now both build cars in the USA. Nokia mobile phones are assembled
all over the world, etc. Some of our favourite Leica lenses were made in
Canada (e.g. the Noctilux).

Nathan

Pascal wrote:

> I must say you are right on the fact that every company should make a
> profit, if not they will simply vanish. But, it would be a very sad
> moment if Leica would outsource production and manufacturing to low-cost
> countries. A big part of the Leica mystique and brand-awareness (and
> Leica knows this very well) is the fact that most products are "made in
> Germany", which is a much coveted label (irrational or not). For many
> existing and potential Leica customers this would mean Leica is "just
> like the others" and consequently, part of the attraction would simply
> fade away...
>
> Pascal
> NO ARCHIVE

> See my photo pages at http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace/
> t h i n k   d i f f e r e n t               a p p l e    c o m p u t e r
> <<< PGP public key available on request >>>

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium

General photo site: http://members.tripod.com/belgiangator/