Subject: [Leica] Re: Where to have a lens serviced?
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 20:24:05 -0600

At 08:21 PM 30/05/99 -0400, Richard wrote:
>A 35mm Summicron-M (#3240782) from ca. 1982 which I've owned and used
>since about 1987 has developed a bit of "wiggle" just discernable in the
>focus lever. [cut]

>Another hypothesis: I am a musician by profession. One of those
>long-hair conservatory trained sorts; an organist and harpsichordist
>whose hands are supposed to notice and control things which move and
>discern minute changes in things like KEY action. Am I perhaps being too
>critical of a lens?

No. You can expect to have it working properly and to get it fixed if it
has changed noticeably since you bought it.  I experienced the same thing
with a new 35 Summilux ASPH.  The aperture ring had too much play in it.  I
sent it in to get it adjusted.  I was told it was "within spec."  I sent it
back and had it tightened to the way I like it.  It has to feel right for
me.  You play instruments, so you know that if you and the instrument don't
mesh, it is hard to make it give you the sound you want.  I have to have
the keys balanced on my grand piano to the weight that I prefer, not that
what the tuner tells me I should have.  The camera and lens have to feel
right too.  The Leica service rep I spoke to said it is quite common for
Leica owners to send in lenses to have them tweaked.  Tighten the focusing
ring a bit, loosen the aperture ring a bit ... must drive them crazy.  You
pay dearly for the equipment, so you should have it the way you like it.