Subject: RE: [Leica] Which choice of Leica Pradovit projectors?
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 07:23:21 +0200

Pascal,

I use the P600 with a Colorplan CF and with a Zeiss Sonnar T* 90mm f2.5
flat field. Most of my slides have plastic glassless lab frames. Well,
unlike most other posters here, I find the CF does a better job of getting
an evenly sharp image from corner to corner on glassless frames. Under one
condition: that the darn slide pops.

The main frustration with my slide projections is the 'popping delay'. When
the projector is really hot (after 10 minutes or so), most slides pop early
enough (after less than 1.5 seconds), so that the phenomenon does not
bother the viewers too much. BUT some of them take longer, and sometimes
all of them take longer. Even weirder: sometimes they fail to pop
alltogether. I do not know why. Humidity rate ? Storage temperature (though
they remain at room temperature all year long) ? I've tried preheating the
slides with a hair dryer, but I have not noticed  more predictability.

I find the CF does a great job on popped slides, even in plastic frames,
and although the lens curvature is supposed to have been computed for
Kodachrome cardboard frames.

Maybe, the only way out of this is to go through the slow and painstaking
procedure of mounting the best slides in anti-newton glass frames. With a
flatfield (super) colorplan, you'll be able to stage a spectacular hassle
free projection. I know this is not the suggestion you were hoping for.

See you on Wednesday,

Alan