Subject: RE: [Leica] Vario-Elmar-R 1.4/35-70 - How good??? (also some FS)
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 08:47:47 -0700

Richard,
I use this lens once in a while, mainly for hiking, as it provides a good
range for that, and has good close focus capabilities.  It's also light
weight.  It's a nice, light, versatile combination with the R6.2.  In
comparison with the Canon EF 28-70 2.8L, it seems to control flare much
better, but contrast and sharpness seem comparable.

My single complaint about this lens is that the front element rotates, so
using a polarizer with it is very inconvenient, particularly with the lens
hood in place.  I often use a polarizer for scenics while hiking, so this is
a significant problem for me.

I believe our own Erwin Puts is currently preparing a test report on this
lens.  I'm looking forward to seeing his results.

Best Regards,
Jim Laurel