Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Camera Bags
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 15:20:18 -0400

Barrister Small eloquently wrote:

> Possibly, but, again, I represent these guys:  very, very few thieves would
> EVER know the difference between Nikon and Leica, as they've never heard of
> either, and to expect them to know the difference between a Billingham and
> a K-Mart bag simply would stretch their grey cells way too far.
>
> Crooks don't even want to steal cameras, as there is no market for hot
> cameras.  They will steal $2,500 worth of gear and net, at most, $50 for
> their risk and trouble, while a good car stereo will bring them $100 and a
> TV $150.  If they KNOW you have a camera in the bag, they'll leave you
> alone:  they're hoping it has something exotic in it, like a boom box or a
> gun.
>
> Marc

Whenever I do work at one of my medical/hospital accounts I always ask
for a couple biohazard warning labels. These I stick on my various hard
cases hoping they are a deterrent. However, I'm not sure that thieves
can read, or that the label actually might encourage theft. I have yet
to try flying with them plastered over my checked baggage. Maybe I'll
try radioactie isotope warning labels instead. :-)

- --
Carl Socolow

http://members.tripod.com/SocPhoto/