Subject: RE: [Leica] Solar Eclipse
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 16:09:45 -0400

At 10:09 -0400 02/06/99, Greg Spanier wrote:
>This may be stating the obvious, but one must be VERY careful when looking
>at the eclipsed sun either directly or through a viewfinder.  Much
>radiation is still there from the sun's corona, which can harm the eye
>seriously or permanently.  The visible light, which causes pain and warns
>us to look away is absent, so one can damage one's eye easily without
>realizing it till too late.  I have been warned not to look at all...I
>don't know whether a fleeting glance is safe or no.....
>
>Greg

	1/ --> I remember reading about some technique that involved
	using a mirror image off a cardboard (Kodak Grey Card ???)
	to alleviate the risk of eye damage.

	2/ I remember looking at one once and, indeed, it left a remanent
	image for two or so hours, and a real headache: be VERY careful,
	especially with telephoto SLR and binoculars as the light
	intensity is multiplied: both of these are PAINFUL
	and could leave you blind, partially blind...

	3/ It was once in fashion to use processed black & white
	film, a few layers in front of the eyes: what's your opinion ?

	4/ Q: Perhaps using a stopped down preview on the SLR
	to lessen the risk, while composing ?
	How to get a proper meter reading, then ?
	Compose, on tripod, then get a reading and bracket
	in 1 f/stop increments for proper density.

	AJQ

   "Of course, everybody knows pigs rule this World."

		Miss Piggy, in a private interview
		leading to her authorized life story.