Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 TTL and flash opinions please
From: LEICAMAN56@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 00:56:29 EDT

Hi Henry,

I just did a review of the M6 TTL/SF 20 combination for the LHSA Viewfinder
and was very impressed with the combination in actual use.  Stay tuned for
the next Viewfinder appearing in a few weeks time.

In the meantime, here are some answers to your questions.

In TTL mode the flash will handle ISO 12-3200.

The flash has compensation for + 3 stops, in 1/3 stop increments.  This works
in a similar fashion to the Nikon SB 24,25,26,28 series of flashes.  Just set
the exposure comp. on the LCD panel on the back of the flash and fire away.

The flash meter reads off of the film itself and I believe it is center
weighted.  It is based on the TTL flash meter of the Leica R6.

I shot a series of exposures on slide film using the compensation through its
entire range.  I then kept this film uncut to view the whole range of
compensation.  This is a most valuable tool for determining how much
compensation you might want to use.  At -3, the flash is barely noticeable,
at +3 it is very hot.  Throughout the entire range, the flash light balanced
very nicely with the ambient light in the background.  This works great
indoors and in low light.  Outdoors, in bright sunlight the 1/50 sec. flash
sync is a problem.  Unfortunately, we are stuck with this slow sync speed
because of the physical limitations of the cloth focal plane shutter.

I have used many small, non dedicated flash units with the M, but for ease of
use, its hard to beat the M6 TTL/SF 20 combination.  It is second only to the
Nikon system in its ease of use.  BTW, you can use the SC 17 cord with the
SF20 to get the flash off camera and still retain full TTL metering.  Too bad
you can't use the Nikon SB flashes in TTL mode on the M6 TTL.

Hope this answers your questions.

Bill Rosauer