Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Camera Bags
From: Bernard <5521.g23@g23.relcom.ru>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 11:22:20 +0400

Marc wrote:

> Possibly, but, again, I represent these guys:  very, very few thieves
> would EVER know the difference between Nikon and Leica, as they've
> never heard of either, and to expect them to know the difference
> between a Billingham and a K-Mart bag simply would stretch their grey
> cells way too far.

Now how can you speak like that of the people who pay the bills that pay
for your photo-gear. Always show some respect to the client, or seek
another job with clients more worthy of respect.

> Crooks

Isn't that like a doctor calling his patient "crazy". Aren't there more
respectful phrases in your line of work, like "socially ill-adapted",
"mal-adjusted", or better perhaps "people with differing perception of
the property-concept"? Besides, they had a troubled childhood, isn't
that so?

> don't even want to steal cameras,

This is very nice, for I will often lug around $15,000-$20,000 in
gear....

> as there is no market for hot cameras.  They will steal $2,500 worth
> of gear and net, at most, $50 for their risk and trouble, while a good
> car stereo will bring them $100 and a TV $150.

TV's are darn heavy to steal, so that's only fair!

> If they KNOW you have a camera in the bag, they'll leave you alone:

This is getting better and better: perhaps we should write it all over
the bags: "no luck, old boys; just cameras, here"

And silly me....... I even take along a "uncuttable" cable to tie and
padlock my cases to the heating tubes of the hotels I stay in in Europe.
I feel liberated of the burden of carrying the most expensive 35mm
system in the world with me! Thank you, Marc. I feel reborn.

Bernard.