Subject: Re: [Leica] A Humbling Experience
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 13:53:37 -0700

Keith Bingman wrote:

> Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter) wrote:
>
> > Glen,
<snip> than I.  Perhaps they can add to this explanation.

> I used to work at the Univ. of Washington, which has a great collection of old
> prints, negs and glass plates and was lucky enough to print  a lot of these old
> photos from both original and copy negs.
>
> Indeed the old papers have a much longer tonal range than even the best silver
> paper availible today. (As I write this I am exposing a platinum print in the
> other room, a 35-40 minute exercise.) I doubt the average print from the last
> century was done in platinum, more likely it was a Salted Paper or Albumin
> Print. These both have a similar tonal range to Platinum, some 8 stops or so
> and with a good contact neg can make amazing prints. You can still buy some of
> these papers today.
>
> There is a list for these things, the Alt Photo list, concerning Platinum and
> Palladium, Salted Paper and any number of other antique processes.
> Unfortunately for those of us who love our Leicas they almost all require
> contact negs...
>
> Keith Bingman
> Riedheim, Germany

In the realm of modern Silver Jello Papers I had some Ilford Gallery 0
once which would have been only good for extremely contrasty dense glass
plates and that ilk or so I thought I remembered and read. And was used
for that purpose at least ten years back.
I thunk you had to tone it to get a black out if it.
Mark Rabiner