Subject: [Leica] camera storage
From: kt66@cyberhighway.net (ckk)
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 19:00:22 -0700 (PDT)

I usually carry only minimal gear once in the street. Camera on body, all
other gear and film in pockets. Hence, my current preference for rangefinders.

However, I learned a good trick from a local photographer. Both of us have
had problems with car break- ins even in the middle of the day in this town
(Portland,OR). Certain items scream, break in and check it out.

  His solution was to carry a small lunch cooler (Coleman or other brands)
with a small camera bag hidden inside. The dirtier the cooler the better.
It insulates the gear from heat, looks like any old construction workers
lunch cooler, and you can always carry it around with you or just remove the
camera bag from the cooler and hit the streets.

I have never felt comfortable with camera bags stashed in the car, while I
am (briefly)  away,  until I tried the cooler trick. I even take it with me
if I feel I just have to have all the gear inside while shooting. I haven't
cancelled my insurance yet, though. Not in this town.

BTW, I have found out the hard way  that thieves want the best odds of a
payoff.  Buy only detachable faced car stereos, and pop the face off EVERY
time you leave the car. Have nothing but your dirty, scratched up old
Coleman cooler in plain sight. This has minimized the curious scum from
breaking out my windows for some time.

Kevin