Subject: Re: [Leica] New M-6 Version - now official
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 08:19:14 -0400

 SNIP!.  It would be real neat to see this brand as an industry leader
again rather than a curiosity with a loyal cult following even if it means
going
mass market as long as a super performance pro line remains.

Javier-
My sentiments exactly! It seems the marques that are doing well are those
that appeal to the widest audience! Nikon, Pentax, Canon have a wide range
of offerings, for the rank novice to the pro. It seems that if the extreme
of either end of the spectrum is the sole target of the maker, they seem to
fade. The low end box cameras made by Ansco, Hanimex, Argus, et al, seem to
come ( when the name is bought by someone) then fade away, never to be heard
from until the name is bought by someone else.
I would hate to see Leica go the same route (a la Alpa).
Their introduction into the market of the several P&S models seems a good
start- small, easy to use cameras  with superior optics provide a gateway
for those who want to get 'their feet wet'. A line of progressively more
sophisticated cameras would help build a loyal user base from the
happysnapper to the pro.
Dan