Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V9 #27
From: LEICAMAN56@aol.com
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 11:56:58 EDT

kbookan@watserv1.uwaterloo.ca writes:

<<  the
 crown jewel of Leica M series has been its simplicity yet elegance. If
 someday leica really goes with features such as auto focus, that would be
 death of Leica. Leica can never compete on the level with comes out of
 Japan. >>
Kooras has it right here.  I expressed this same sentiment to Hanns-Peter
Cohn when I met with him at PMA.  He seems to understand how important the M
camera is to Leica's future and will not tamper (no radical changes) too much
with the design.

I am not at liberty to divulge what the new M6 "companion camera" will
feature, but it will not have autofocus, auto advance, auto rewind, or auto
load.  Maybe the M7, but not this one.  BTW, Herr Cohn has said on the record
(in print) that there will be no M7 while he is CEO.  The new camera will be
fully compatible with all current M lenses.  The camera will remain true to
the original M concept.  The TTL will continue as is and this new M6 will be
considered a companion to the TTL, not a replacement.  In Herr Cohn's words,
the new camera will be considered as an "equal" to the traditional M6 TTL,
but with some other features to make operation easier.  Herr Cohn also
forsees an entire "Family" of M cameras, whatever this may mean.

Bill Rosauer