Subject: Re: [Leica] Deterioration of slide images
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 20:47:01 -0700

John Hudson wrote:

> This message appeared on another photo list to which I subscribe. The back
> issue of Outdoor Photographer refers to George Lepp's Tech Tips column in
> the December 1997 issue.
>
> Is there anything definitive on the issue raised?
>
> >I was just reading a back issue of Outdoor Photographer and the question of
> whether the projection of slides causes
> >the deterioration of an images colour came up.
> >
> >The belief seems to be that E-6 slides have a viewing life of about 5 1/2
> hrs under projection and Kodachrome just one
> >hour before damage occurs. Evidently the first colour to break down is
> magenta.
> >
> >Obviously thats a lot of projection time as you only view slides for a few
> seconds at a time usually.But it would make one think
> >twice about leaving your best Kodachromes on screen while you debate how
> you got the shot.
> >
> >I guess if there was any deterioration you probably wouldnt notice it as it
> would be a gradual process.
>
> John Hudson

My Kodachrome have stood up better than my Ektachromes by a long shot.
They have both underwent a lot of projection. My slides date to '65.
Fade wise it will take a lot of convincing to convince me against my
direct experience. Also my wifes dad's slides agree. His predates mine
by a decade or two, his old non Kodachomes look faded, the Kodachomes
are frozen in time.
Mark Rabiner