Subject: [Leica] Auto-everything Leica SLR?
From: Doug Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 08:36:01 -0400

- -------------------- Begin Original Message --------------------

"an (innocent) question for all leica and other slr users:

if leica came out with the auto-everything slr to beat all auto-everything
slrs and the price for the body alone was $10,000. would you invest in it?
why or why not?
"

- -------------------- End Original Message --------------------

Guy,

No, most emphatically no I would not, not even for $2000.  I only use a few
of the features of any SLR: the viewfinder to focus and make my
composition, aperture and shutter to set the correct exposure.  Sometimes
DOF preview, sometimes the tripod socket or x-sync.

Additional features have only gotten in my way, or caused me to slow down
as I verify their settings or figure out how to disable 'em.

I have found that in many types of systems, whether mechanical, electronic,
or biological, the more complex or flexible the system is, the more
resources are required to keep the system directed to its task.  In my
hands, the camera's task is a simple one and the auto-features are more
bother than benefit.

Doug Herr
Sacramento