Subject: [Leica] Incredible Leica P2002!
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 10:57:23 -0700

Well, I gave in...  Yesterday afternoon, I picked up one of those discounted
P2002 projectors from my local dealer, Glazers in Seattle.  P2002 plus Super
Colorplan P lens for just $900.  Unfortunately, they don't receiver thier
Super Colorplan P lenses until next week, but they were good enough to give
me a standard Colorplan P to use in the meantime.

I never have given much thought to projection, but I heard so many good
things about the P2002 + Colorplan that I decided to try it.  Previously,
I've been using an old (ca 1972) Rollei, a Kodak Carousel, and for the last
3 years or so, a Leica P150.

Anyway, we projected some slides on the 2002 last night and I am still
recovering from the shock.  What an astounding device.  We looked at several
trays, comparing the P150 to the P2002, and the difference is remarkable.
We were amazed at the brightness, the contrast, and the edge to edge
sharpness this setup provides.

A couple of observations:
1) We noticed that the difference between Kodachrome 64 slides and the E6
films (we looked at some Provia, E100SW, and E100VS) is *very* apparent with
this projector.  We kept coming back to this batch of K64 we had shot around
Bavaria on a Contax G, and wondering what made them look so good.  Sure
enough, the slide mount read "Kodachrome".  Even some recent work, shot on
E100VS lacked the punch and detail of the Kodachromes.

2) Several of the slides in the Bavaria batch were known to be a little
soft, a victim of the Contax G's infamous focusing problems with the Sonnar
90mm.  But even these appeared sharp when viewed with the P2002 and
Colorplan.  I assume this results from the increased contrast, which gives a
perception of sharpness.

3) There is a subtle emotional effect that distinguishes this projector/lens
combination from others that I have seen.  I know it's not a fair
comparison, but our reaction when looking at the slides with the P150 was
"very nice".  With the P2002, there was almost a "shocking" feeling
resulting from a stunningly bright, contrasty, highly detailed image.

4) The P2002 is LOUD.  But I guess it takes a pretty robust cooling system
to support such bright projection.  The slide changing mechanism is FAST and
SURE.

5) The integrated pointer in the control is a disgrace.  You'd think that at
this price point, Leica could have built-in a nice laser pointer.

I'm getting ready to spend a few weeks in Southern Spain, and had planned to
shoot the new VS.  But the incredible image quality of good old K64 is still
tough to beat.  It took a new Pradovit to show me the difference that's
always been there.

- --Jim Laurel