Subject: Re: [Leica] M7
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 10:21:42 +0000

>> Dan Cardish wrote:
>>
>> > My reading of the quote has it that Herr Cohn is unwillingly produce
>> > an M7, not that he is unable to.
>><snip>If it's a technology
>> problem, then perhaps it's long due time Mr Cohn should ask Nikon
>> engineers to lend a hand, at a fee?
>>
>> Bernard
>>

>Bernard:
>"Herr Cohn should ask Nikon engineers to lend a hand, at a fee?"
>Gentleman and ladies start your flame throwers. You are asserting that
>no M7 indicates a lack of resources on the part of Leica.
>A question might be:
>Why do we need a 7 what's wrong with the 6 not enough like your F5 go
>shoot with your lousy F5.
>Calm down Mark.
>Part of the problem is you are combining the needs of the R system
>against the M system. While the R system is slightly "classic" with no
>AF the M is WAY "classic" with no nothin. It's value is in it's
>simplicity. Will Nikon Engineers be able improve on this level of
>classic simplicity? No, that is not their particular bag.
>Mark Rabiner

I am totally at home with the simnplicity of the M camera and the basic
exposure system in the M6 meets most of my needs for available light
photography.   I do not have the R-system but my Nikon system takes care of
my SLR needs very nicely.   While there currently is a nice M6 with TTL
flash facility, this feature is still archaic compared to the sophisticated
multizone (and multi-what have you) balanced flash facility which I still
enjoy using on my F90 for many years.  They have now come out with
something even better than what I am familiar with.

I do not think there is any sense in Leica trying to contest in the race
now run very fiercely by the Nikon/Canon companies which will, in time,
outrun whatever latest innovations that Leica may put in to even the
playing field at this point in time.

Interestingly, Nikon and Canon are not too interested in producing limited
editions and collectibles but concentrate purely on selling the largest
number of cameras to the largest market niches in the community - and that
means  students, newbies, serious amateurs, and professionals.  They seem
to have a camera for everybody.  On the other hand, Leica produces cameras
more for a select market and these are people with the financial means and
who want to use Leica products.

I think Leica should be more concerned about the future of their R-system
than their M-system.

Dan K.