Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V9 #27
From: "TSL" <eno22@enter.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 02:55:03 -0400

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> pleasant dreams an M6 with some lighter weight space age materials:
> ceramics, graphite resin golf club parts. Real Titanium not just
> Titanium paint! Silly Putty! Flubber! Red Kryptonite! Nylon! I want a
> square format M6. I want a panaramic M6!

Titanium Paint?  I like that.  The silver (chrome!) is too bright.  The
black - I can't tell if it's an R or not.
Titanium paint is perfect - it's got real ostrich footprints embedded in
ostrich leather.  If I could afford it I'd get it in Platinum with white
gold lenses with a baked-tanzanite finish.  And then I'd tape the thing in
black electrical tape.  It's nice to now you have the finest mechanism of
RF.  It's then just great to tape it up.  The red dot?  Yeah - people are
really focused on that.  That causes fights... In Arab East Jerusalem they
love me...if I'd tape my camera they'd think I was offensive and dumb.  As
if I were tricking them that I was taking pictures.  The greats...
yeah.   Life and death = tape no tape.  You have a titanium finish - it
looks like a minilux anyway.  What's dignity?  Not sure.  But I would hope
that the "security" reasons or "hiding" are just so effective.  Untape the
camera when you look like a western shooter.  If it's Titanium, you are at
least perhaps protecting the camera (i.e. it looks that way to some) if it's
black - you're really going to be respected.   Ohh - the red - that's gonna
get everyone up in arms. They should make a black dot, logo so some can
indulge in red tape.  I'd like to have a deep red M6 made of marbled rubies
and ketchup.  The sophisticated - better you take their picture - they are
not concentrating on any red.  Or silver. THEY don't care.  If in primitive
places (yeah...drinking blood and beating lions is primitive - they might
like the red dot. I had a few pairs of cheap binoculars and gave 'em to some
Sambura kid then it was stolen by some older guy.  He looked through it -
and I have not since then seen a smile like that - ear to ear - or close.
If the binoculars had red - they may love it - many dressed in red.   Steal?
If it's wrapped - it could be a present.  Titanium - oh.. it's screaming
"titanium!"  What if the tape won't come off?
It's part of the camera - try using Titanium tape - like paint it 'looks'
real.   The red leica logo - everyone is looking!
But tape?  Better be a good taper.  If you are documented a war... Or a real
threat as such - the titanium finish may protect your camera even a tiny bit
more.  The tape could accidentally unravel a bit and get stuck in one's
eyelashes.