Subject: Re: [Leica] Canon really has AF figured out...
From: jsaravia@zeus.uniandes.edu.co
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 16:24:21 -0500 (GMT+5)

>"The Leica R lens give excellent performance wide open, but I don't think
>fast action can be handled as well as the AF cameras do. Anyone
>agree/disagree? Please tell me about your experiences regarding this
>issue.
>
>I'm trying out a R8 outfit now. I'm seriously considering buying it.
>
>Is this really an either/or situation or is there a middle ground?
>
>Should I stay M Leica and Nikon?
>
>Are the Canons much better than Nikon?
>
>Please tell me about your experiences with the R Leicas.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Henry"

Henry,

R8 is a good camera, solid, easy to use, but the best of all is that you can
use Leica R lenses on it. I have been using Leicas for a while (M6 and R8),
and I have used Canon autofocus too. R and M  are not fast action cameras
specially with lenses longer than 50mm, a R8 can't compete with a 1N +
70-200/2.8 L (well, at least I canīt focus as fast as the Cannon does) if
you are shooting a fashion show  and the models are moving fast, but if you
have the model  possing you can use a tripod mounted R8 with a 70-180/2.8
and get better pictures. If you are shooting from a moving boat, you can get
better results using the the Cannon IS technology.  I canīt focus a Noctilux
as fast a F5 can focus 80 /1.4 D , M6 Lenses like the 50/1.0, 75/1.4, 90/2.0
and the 135mm, must be really carefully focused  to use all its potential.

Cameras are instruments that are designed for specific tasks. Cameras like
F5, EOS 3, 1N have a place and are instruments you can rely on for fast
action shooting. Leicas are cameras that are wonderful for low light
shooting, for street shooting have the advantage of their small size and low
noise, and if you have developed a shooting technique, the cameras can be
very fast when using wide angle lenses. Some Leica lenses are able to put
very high quality images on film, but that needs a very good technique and
enough time to take the shoot.

Before thinking about if Cannon is better than Nikon, or if Leica R is
better than an auto Focus system ( I have been asking my self about  the
same for a while, but  now I am 'rethinking' everything ) One should
question about what must be in the negative in order to send the desired
message. Some one may want a super sharp land scape that needs a 4x5 +
Schneider 110 apo, other may want  to have to opportunity to be in right
moment and in the right place with a camera, a lens, and a 400 ASA film  to
have 'THE'  picture, other may want to shoot a soccer game that needs a
1N+600 2.8.

As many times have been said in this forum, the best instrument is the one
that you use more and that allows you put on film what you want.

My one cent,

Jorge Saravia.