Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital film scanning
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 10:12:26 +0200

Jim,

I upgraded from the HP Photosmart scanner to the LS-2000 a couple of months
ago. The jump in price is quite substantial, a factor of 3-4. Nonetheless, I
have concluded that it was worth it for the following reasons:

- - scanning of color negatives and slides vastly improved due to the greater
dynamic range and color depth
- - scanning of B&W negatives also improved (mainly due to the greater dynamic
range) but the improvement is much less dramatic than for color
- - the ICE feature can be a real life-saver; I recently had botched the
processing of some B&W chromogenic film, with black spots all over the
negative, well beyond any reasonable amount of spotting. The ICE feature
removed 99% of the defects with only a minimal loss of sharpness. It literally
saved the negative. Note that it cannot be used with Kodachromes or
traditional B&W film.

In summary; if your only use is with standard B&W film, then it probably is
not worth it for you to upgrade, as you already have a pretty good scanner. On
the other hand, if you do a significant amount of color work, then you should
consider it. The best way to decide is to find someone who has one and have
them scan one of your own images, so you can see the difference for yourself.
That is what I did before buying (thanks to Pascal). If you do not have anyone
nearby who has one of these, I can do it for you. Contact me off-list if
interested.

Kind regards,

Nathan

Jim Laurel wrote:

> Have any of you had experience with Nikon's new LS-2000 scanner?  I have
> been using an LS-1000, but the digital ICE feature that removes scratches,
> dust, etc., would be a real time saver.
>
> How much better than the LS-2000 than its predecessor?  Subjective
> impressions welcomed.
>
> Oh yes...on topic, I will be scanning Leica images.  ;-)
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

- --
Nathan Wajsman